As part of their work with food, pupils are taught how to cook and apply the principles of nutrition and healthy eating. Learning how to cook is a crucial life skill that enables pupils to feed themselves and others affordably and well, now and in later life.
In Reception and Key Stage 1 children are taught to:
- use the basic principles of a healthy and varied diet to prepare dishes;
- understand where food comes from.
In Key Stage 2 children are taught to:
- understand and apply the principles of a healthy and varied diet;
- prepare and cook a variety of predominantly savoury dishes using a range of cooking techniques;
- understand seasonality, and know where and how a variety of ingredients are grown, reared, caught and processed.