Holy Trinity and S. Silas school local offer sets out in one place what we provide for children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEN/D) throughout their time with us. It explains how we support them on to the next stage of their education.

The school works with a range of outside agencies to support all children with their needs. Access to the following, when appropriate, is available:

  • Speech and Language therapist
  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (Clinical psychologist)
  • Occupational therapist
  • Language and Communication teachers
  • Educational psychologist

Effective Leadership, Governance And Management

What school leaders and governors  do to make sure that all children feel welcome, feel included and achieve their potential

The Senior Leadership Team has overall responsibility for SEN/D and inclusion – this means that SEN/D issues are regularly discussed in the Leadership Team meetings.  Support for children with SEN/D is constantly under review. The SENDCO* manages the day to day provision for children with SEN/D and plans the programmes of support for individuals and small groups of pupils. A List/Profile of children identified as having a SEN and/or a disability is kept and regularly updated as children’s needs change.  The school also has a Provision Map*: this sets out all the different ways that the school provides extra support (for example, support for reading, communication and number) for children with SEN/D.

The progress and well-being of children with SEN/D and the quality of provision for them is regularly monitored, including teaching and support. For example senior leaders observe lessons and hold discussions with teachers and support staff.   If something is not working well, the school adapts to this and acts to change and improve the provision –these changes are detailed in the School Improvement Plan*. The Governing Body* challenges the SEN/Dco and senior leadership to make sure we constantly improve the quality of provision for children with SEN/D and the outcomes that they achieve.

We have a Governor who takes a particular responsibility for SEN/D matters. She meets with our SENDCO once a term and makes visits to classrooms looking at learning and teaching.  She reports termly to the full GB.


What funding does the school have for my child with SEN/D?
We receive funding from the Local Authority at the start of the financial year* for supporting children with SEN/D.  School leaders have the responsibility to use the funding to meet the different needs of our children.

How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?
We have to make sure that we use this funding as effectively as possible.  Our SENDCO consults parents/carers, the child and the class teacher before making a decision about each support programme. We review with parents/carers how well each child is doing and agree changes if we need to.

What happens if my child’s needs change as he gets older?
The starting point is to discuss these changes with the SENDCO. If the level of need is becoming higher, parents can work with the school and request an assessment for an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP)*. You can find more details about assessment for an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) on the Camden local Offer website.

Developing The Skill And Expertise Of Staff

How we develop the skills, knowledge and expertise of school staff

All staff – including Teaching Assistants – have regular training and guidance to meet the needs of our children.  Our SENDCO has a responsibility to arrange + provide this training which may be run by local or national organisations. We provide training for all of our Teaching Assistants who are working with children with particular SEN/Ds, for example, slow progress in reading, number and communication. We provide specialist training for Teachers and Teaching Assistants who support children with the most complex needs – for example general Learning Difficulty, Hearing Impairment, Autism.   We use the eight national Teaching Standards* to develop the knowledge, skill and confidence of all of our Teachers as part of their professional development.

In-school training with an SEN/D focus ensures that teachers and TAs:

  • have an awareness of the different special educational needs and disabilities of children in our school
  • are able to plan and teach/support lessons which meet the needs of all children
  • understand the social and emotional needs of children with SEN/D
  • have had a whole staff briefing on the procedures set out in our SEN policy.

Every year we do an AUDIT of staff training needs – this includes knowledge and expertise about different SEN/Ds.

Our Staff Handbook* provides written guidance about the different SEN/Ds in our school. The Glossary provides a brief explanation of each area of need:

  • Communication and interaction*;
  • Cognition and learning*;
  • Social, emotional and mental health* difficulties;
  • Sensory and/ or physical needs*

We know that children will frequently have a range of needs and that these needs may change over time.


How do you make sure that staff new to the school are able to meet my child’s needs?
All staff new to the school have an induction programme which includes a meeting with the SENDCO. We provide detailed information about the range of pupils in her/his class, personal support and detailed guidance on how to provide high quality teaching and support. We use the knowledge of parents/carers to do this.

Will there be someone in the school who understands my child’s needs as soon as she starts?
As soon as we know that a child is coming to our school with particular needs, we review our provision and provide relevant ongoing training.  In particular, we will provide relevant training and guidance for your child’s Class Teacher on meeting her needs.

Will my child with an Education Health and Care Plan have a key worker – what does the Key Worker do?
Yes. We will allocate a Key Worker* at the start of the school year or when a SEN support programme is put in place. The Key Worker will coordinate provision and monitor the achievement and well-being of your child.

Specialist Services

The contribution that specialist services and teams make to the progress and well-being of children with SEN/D

Teaching and support staff work closely with relevant members of specialist services which provide support for our school. The services which are working in our school this year are:

Specialist Service Frequency Examples of what they do
Educational Psychologists* 6 visits a year Observation of children. Advice to staff, parents + children. Support for assessments
The Camden Hearing Impaired service*

The Camden Visually Impaired service*

By referrals for specific children Support and advice to parents, children school staff on meeting the needs of HI and VI children

Staff training

Occupational Therapists* By referrals for specific children Observation of children.

Advice to staff, parents + children

Support for assessments

Camden Language and Communication Service* By referrals for specific children Provides practical advice to schools on best practice in inclusive schools and specialist advice on speech, language and communication needs

Provide whole school and central based training at universal, enhanced and specialist level

Robson House Outreach On request Training, support and advice to school staff, and direct work with children with social, mental and emotional health difficulties
Camden Education Welfare Service* By referrals for specific children Deals with school attendance and truancy.

Prosecutes parents for non-attendance of children and liaises with other organisations to run Truancy Patrols.

Acts as a link between a child’s school and home.

Gives advice and training on how to improve attendance to schools.

The CAMHS Team* Fortnightly visits Support for the emotional and personal development of children*

Staff training

MOSAIC – supporting children with complex needs* By referrals for specific children Camden MOSAIC is the integrated service for the borough’s disabled children, young people and their families. The service is based at Kentish Town Health Centre.

Camden MOSAIC has high aspirations for children and young people with severe disabilities and complex needs, including sensory impairments. Their aim is to help children be able to join in with all aspects of school, leisure and community activities, and support their independence and involvement in all decisions that affect them, preparing them for adult life.

Social Services* By referrals for specific children Promote the welfare and safety of all children in the borough, provide a long-term social work service for children who are at risk or who have complex needs, through the provision of an allocated social worker.

Undertake child protection investigations and ensure the implementation of child protection plans, provide advice and guidance for parents

Social services undertake in-depth assessments of need for children and families and ensure the provision of appropriate services. Where necessary they might arrange for the accommodation of children .

Health visitor/school nurse* Regular termly visits Health checks for all children in Reception and Year 6

Supporting class teachers in delivery of Sex and Relationship Education

The glossary at the end of this document explains what each of these teams does.

Each service has referral and eligibility criteria – this means that service support is targeted on children with higher levels of need.

These services provide a range of support including:

  • working one to one and with small group work with children
  • providing training for teaching and support staff
  • helping us to assess needs and plan next steps and review progress

We will always involve you in any decisions about whether your child has a special educational need and the best ways to provide support.  If your child requires these services we will involve you in the process at every stage: we will ask you to sign a referral form before the support can go ahead.

You can find more information about specialist services who work with Camden schools in the Local Authority website www.camden.gov.uk/localoffer/specialistservices


Will I be able to meet the speech therapist who is working with my child?
If your child is receiving support from a specialist team, you will be able to meet a member of the team to discuss your child’s progress

Identification, Assessment And Planning

How we identify, assess and plan support

Our starting point is, where appropriate,  to have a conversation with parents/carers in the summer term before children start school: we know that parents are the first educators of their child – we need their knowledge to plan effectively.  We ask whether parents/carers have any concerns about their children – for example, if they have a disability, special need or medical need. This helps us to plan how we will support their child once he/she starts school.   If a child has attended a Nursery school or Children’s Centre we use the information they provide as part of transition to plan the best programme of support. In addition we assess all children in the first half term in our school through careful and sensitive classroom observation and an early review of progress.

We also listen to children to find out how they are settling in to school.  We continue to assess and monitor all through the child’s time in school so that we can look out for any special educational needs that might arise later on.   We take great care to establish whether lack of progress is because a pupil has English as an additional language (EAL), for example by talking to the child (and parents) in her/his home language.

We also work with specialist services – for example Educational Psychologists and Speech Therapists  – who provide expertise in finding out the type and range of the student’s needs, for example, in terms of language and communication needs or slow progress in acquiring reading and number skills.

We follow Camden’s guidance for the identification of SEN/D (hyperlink to criteria).

We are committed to personalised planning and regular assessment and review to make sure that your child makes progress.

You can see more details on how we identify children with SEN/D in our SEN policy:


You can see our policy on transition Reception at:



If my child has been assessed as having a SEN, what happens next?
Class teachers regularly assess the progress of the children in their class and if they have any concerns, they will talk to the SENDCO and discuss what the next steps will be. Sometimes this will mean extra support from the Class Teacher and/or Teaching Assistant or through a small group intervention.   Sometimes we will involve a specialist service.

Will my child have a personal plan?
All children with SEN/D will have a personal plan: we use a variety of approaches. When we have assessed your child’s needs we will meet with you and agree a plan and short term targets for progress. The targets will focus on the most important areas of need.

What should I do if I think my child has a SEN?
You should contact the school and ask to talk to your child’s Class Teacher. S/he will then talk to the SENDCO about possible next steps.  The SENDCO will always talk to you about your concerns and may begin an assessment of needs. If there is an agreement that your child has a special educational need the school will work with you to plan a programme of support.

I am a Carer of a boy in Year 5 – he has been looked after (LAC) for three years. I think that he may have special educational needs. Who do I talk to about this?
Arrange a meeting with our SENDCO.  She will assess his needs and make provision which will help him to make progress. We will also make sure that we work closely with the school’s designated teacher for LAC and with services and link workers to make sure that we “join up” our support.

Ensuring Help and Support is Effective

How we make sure that teaching and support help your child to learn and make good progress

We know that high quality teaching and well-matched support will make a big difference to the progress of children with SEN/D.   Making sure that this happens in all classrooms is one of the most important things that our school leaders do, through a rigourous monitoring programme.

We make sure that all Teachers and Teaching Assistants have a clear understanding of the learning needs of the children in their class.

  • Holy Trinity and S.Silas school leaders – including the SENDCO – work with teachers and support staff to provide effective teaching and support for children with SEN/D in a variety of ways. These include:
  • carefully differentiated* (taking account of different needs) planning which ensures that all children are able to make progress
  • supporting the Class Teacher to take full responsibility for the learning and progress of all children
  • using a wide variety of teaching approaches, including guiding learning through demonstration; providing  visual support material
  • providing a stimulating, rich and interactive classroom environment
  • using regular, clear and rigorous assessments that help teachers to track pupils’ progress and identify gaps in their understanding
  • using  our marking policy to make sure that children know how to improve their work
  • providing additional adult support from well-trained and well supervised Teaching Assistants
  • making available specialist equipment and digital technology to support access and participation in learning

We help all children to develop their skills as learners – and to persevere when they find learning difficult.

You can read more about how we support good learning in our whole school Teaching and Learning policy:



How can I help my child with learning at home?
We will make sure that when we meet we will share where your child is in their learning. We also aim to provide training and guidance for parents on how best to help their children at home with reading, writing and mathematics – for example reading workshops and a published calculation policy.

Ensuring a Broad and Balanced Curriculum

 How we make sure that children with SEN/D enjoy a broad and balanced curriculum*

We provide a curriculum that is inspired by the arts and is broad, balanced, motivating and accessible to all children.  We want our exciting curriculum to be one of the many reasons our children love coming to school! We work hard to ensure that all of our children achieve in lots of different ways as well as academic learning – for example, in drama, sport, music, dance, showing leadership and taking on responsibilities.

We encourage children with SEN/D to play a full part in the life of our school. Many of our Playground Friends have a special educational need and taking this responsibility is helping them to communicate more confidently with other children.

We arrange educational visits and journeys and make sure that all of our children can take part. We do a risk assessment and when necessary make  reasonable adjustments to plans and arrangements.

Our Provision Map* shows additional specialist interventions to accelerate children’s progress in, for example, reading, writing and mathematics: we choose these after looking carefully at the research on “What works?”.  These sessions run for a limited time – sometimes 24 weeks, frequent and short – for example, two or three twenty minute sessions a week. They are well taught by a trained Teacher or Teaching Assistant.

Our SENDCO monitors the quality and effectiveness of these interventions every term.

For example, we measure a reading level at the start of a reading intervention and then assess progress over time and levels of attainment. If a child is not making sufficient progress  and/or is falling short of national expectations, we will consider other forms of support in discussion with you and your child.

We also adapt the curriculum to include children with SEN/D, for example:

  • Providing quiet time out for a student with emotional needs
  • Providing a visual timetable* and clear explanations of tasks for a boy with autistic spectrum disorder

Additional staff provide support for learning in the Classroom and sometimes in small groups away from the main part of the lesson for a short period of time.


What happens if my child is not making progress in reading? Is there any extra support?
We provide additional support through a variety of approaches.  These include targeted reading support in the classroom and in one to one and small group teaching sessions.  We always consult you when we are planning to do this and we report back on your child’s progress.

Will my child miss out on important lessons in the classroom if they are taken out for an intervention?
We will always try to make sure that a child does not miss important parts of a lesson and that wherever possible support is integrated into the daily curriculum.

How will my child get involved in extra-curricular activities?
The curriculum includes a wide variety of clubs and activities that take place before and after school and we monitor the attendance of our most vulnerable children at these activities. If a child needs help to get involved we provide that help.

Classroom Environment

How we make sure that our school and classrooms are safe, accessible and stimulating

We work hard to make sure that our school building and all classrooms are safe, stimulating and accessible.   We are currently working on improving the use of space and the acoustic/sound qualities of our school as part of a whole school building project.

Specialist teams, for example, Occupational Therapists and the Camden  Hearing and Visual Impairment Support Service provide guidance, advice and equipment for a child with particular access or support needs.   We have a range of equipment designed to support the development of children’s coordination and motor skills. For some children with special educational needs, we provide specialist equipment including digital technology: IPADs and lap-top computers.


How accessible is the building for a child who uses a wheel chair?
We are not currently accessible for wheel-chair users but school building works, starting in July 2014 and estimated to finish by September 2016 aim to change this so that we would be fully wheelchair accessible.

My child has a visual impairment- will the school be able to meet her needs?
We can work closely with the Camden Sensory Support Service* to make sure that we provide the right kind of specialist resources needed to access the curriculum. We can also provide training for staff where necessary.

What specialist resources and equipment are available for my child?
We aim to provide a service that meets your child’s needs. For example, if your child requires Occupational Therapy or Physiotherapy, we can arrange for the delivery of this support in our school.

Working With Parents and Carers

How we work in partnership with parents and carers

We know that the active involvement of parents/carers in supporting the education of their child is one of the most important factors in ensuring a child’s success and achievement and we will always try to involve parents and children in planning and reviewing progress.

We make every effort to communicate clearly and regularly with parents and carers of children with SEN/D about, for example:

  • how we support their children;
  • their achievements and their well-being and..
  • their participation in the full life of our school.


Who do I talk to in the school if I have questions about my child’s SEN?
The first person to talk to is your child’s Class Teacher who will always be happy to meet you, listen to your concerns and discuss how well your child is making progress in day to day lessons; about friendships and personal development.

How do I raise concerns about my child?
 If you have questions or concerns about the particular special educational needs of your child, the school’s SENDCO will listen carefully to your concerns, explain the different ways in which the school supports your child and when possible and appropriate come to an agreement about changes to provision and/or support.   It will also be possible to meet members of the specialist services who are working with your child – the SENDCO will organise this meeting.

What can I reasonably expect from the school?
We will involve you when we are assessing your child’s needs; when we are planning support and when we are reviewing progress.  We make sure we tell you what is happening in terms of support for your child and how well he/she is progressing.

Where can I find information about how the school works in partnership with parents and carers of children with SEN/D?
You will find information and support in several places, for example:

  • our SEN policy on the school’s  website – www.holytrinitynw1.camden.sch.uk
  • our weekly newsletters – contain information about meetings with teachers, useful dates, etc

You will also find lots of information about how different services in Camden provide help and support to children with SEN/D and their parents – on Camden Local Authority web site www.camden.gov.uk/localoffer

Is there a special service in Camden that supports and advises parents about issues such as assessment and provision?
Yes. It’s called SEDIASS. It is funded by Camden Local Authority but is totally independent in terms of giving advice.  You will find information on the website http://www.sendiasscamden.co.uk/

Email sendiass@camden.gov.uk

You can also contact the new Camden Service – Independent Supporters* – who provide work directly with young people and the parents of children being assessed for an EHC plan


What if I am unhappy about my child’s provision or progress?
We always work hard to make sure that our parents are happy with what we provide for their child. However, we will address worries, concerns and complaints as soon as possible through face to face meetings where we will listen carefully to your concerns.

If you feel that we have not been able to address your concerns satisfactorily, we have a complaints policy and procedure that you will find on our website www.holytrinitynw1.camden.sch.uk  or from our office.

Listening to Children

How we listen and respond to children and young people with SEN/D

We know that the only way we really find out if a child is happy ,  feeling safe and taking part in the full life of our community is for the school to be certain that it hears the voices of children, especially those most vulnerable.

We make sure that we listen to children in our school and respond to what they say in a number of ways, including:

  • clear policies and systems to support children in expressing any worries or concerns that they have: giving children the right to choose a preferred adult to talk to
  • talking to children and/or groups of children after lesson observations to understand their experience of the lesson
  • doing an annual pupil questionnaire on “pupil voice”* – giving children their say
  • encouraging children to respond to feedback given through developmental marking
  • agreeing with them individual targets
  • making sure that our school Council is inclusive and represents the whole of our community
  • ensuring that our safeguarding procedures are strong and that all staff are well trained


Who can my child talk to if s/he is worried about something?
We make sure that every child has at least one adult with whom they can talk and share any worries or anxieties.

What should I do if my child says that they do not want to come to school?
Talk to your child about any worries or concerns they may have.  The first point of contact is the Class Teacher, who can address any concerns your child has shared or use their relationship with your child to encourage them in to the class. The Class Teacher will seek appropriate support if the issues are wider.


How we support children joining our school and leaving our school – and making transitions

Before a child comes in to our Reception class, a member of staff will make a home visit and collect information and records from previous Nursery provision.  We always encourage parents to visit our Reception class. We plan carefully to help children to feel safe and settle in. We have “Transition morning” where all the children and their parent/carers come into school and meet each other.

When a child moves up to the next class, we organise “transition” meetings where teachers and support staff make sure that the new teacher and Teaching Assistant (TA) have a clear understanding of the needs of all children.  Children also spend a ‘Transition’ morning where they get to meet their new teacher and any support staff who will be working in class.

Where appropriate, we also provide an opportunity for parents and their children with SEN/D to meet the new teacher and TA before the start of the school year.

Parents and children will be able to visit the new classroom and get to know the new adults who will be teaching and supporting them.

When a child comes to our school in the middle of a term, we plan a range of support – depending on the particular needs of each child. This often involves a team of “Buddies” to help her/him settle in to the new class and provide help to find their way around the school.

Other Transitions The key focus Who involved What we do
Primary to Secondary – Support for move to new building and curriculum

– Support for friendships and well being

– Planning support for learning

– Primary + Secondary SENDCOs

– Head of Year

– Attend Induction days

– Hold Transition meetings with parents

– Invite Visits to our schools

– Secondary SENDCO invited to attend Year 6 Annual Reviews

Mid-term admissions – Support for coming to a new school – e.g. learning, friendships and well-being – SENDCO – Meet pupil and parents

– Assess needs

– Go through classroom routines and weekly timetable

– Tour the school


What happens when my child – who has a SEN statement/Education Health Care plan – moves on to secondary school?
We invite parents and the Secondary school SENDCO to take part in the Annual Review of the Statement/Education Health and Care plan in year 6

We then provide extra escorted and supported visits to the secondary school: these involve a tour of the school and a meeting with the Form Tutor*.   We then discuss with the secondary SENDCO any extra support for each child depending on her or his needs.

This often involves a “Buddy” arrangement*  – a Year 8 child makes friends with the new pupil and helps her/him through the first term.

Who do I talk to about my child moving between Reception and Year 1 and between Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2?
It depends on your child’s needs. The starting point would be your child’s current Class teacher. You might then want to talk to the SENDCO.

What might change about my child’s support when he moves to secondary school?
Our SENDCO will make sure that the Secondary school is fully aware of his needs and explains what was most effective and successful for him in the primary phases of education. The Secondary school will then plan a programme of support suitable for the secondary curriculum.

How do I find out about who the new point of contact will be in the new school?
You should request a meeting with the school’s SENDCO as soon as possible after your child starts secondary school. The SENDCO holds all the records on children with SEN/D new to the school and s/he will let you know who the Key Worker* will be for your child.

Supporting Children’s General Health and Well-being

How we support  children’s health and general well-being – including their safety, attendance +  positive behaviour

The school takes the personal development and well-being of children very seriously.   We know that children are unlikely to flourish unless they are developing positive relationships, feel safe and are adopting healthy life styles.    We also know that some children with SEN/D are particularly vulnerable when it comes to making and keeping friendships.

We address many of these issues in our PHSE (Personal Health and Social Education)* curriculum.

We encourage children to develop confidence and resilience* through teaching, social play opportunities and through more targeted support where this is needed.

We have a very clear behaviour policy which is consistent across the school.  We promote positive behaviour as part of our philosophy of learning – for example, through group and paired work.

You can read more about our approach to behaviour in our policy:  www.holytrintitynw1.camden.sch.uk

We have a zero tolerance of bullying and  talk about all aspects of bullying in assemblies and lessons:  we have very little bullying in our school but when it does occur we work with the children involved  to make sure that it does not happen again.

We have a whole school policy on anti-bullying: www.holytrintitynw1.camden.sch.uk

We provide expert help for any child who is experiencing any difficulties with behaviour or relationships from well-trained staff: for example the school’s SENDCO.  We will always consult and involve parents in the decision to offer this support. When a child returns to school after a fixed-term exclusion , the Head teacher meets the parents and child together to agree a support plan to help her or him settle back into school and make good progress in learning.

We have a “playground friends” system – older children (and some of these may have SEN/D) help children in the playground to join in games and activities and “mediate” when there are arguments and disputes

We make sure that our school council is representative of the population of the school

A senior leader has responsibility for Health and Safety concerns across the school.

Children with serious medical needs have an Individual Health Care Plan which sets out:

  • The medical condition and resulting needs, e.g. medication + treatment; environmental issues
  • Support for educational and emotional needs
  • Who provides support: their role and training and who needs to be aware
  • Arrangements for working with parents/carers
  • Support for long term absence
  • Support on School trips and journeys
  • Emergency procedures

When a child with medical needs is absent long term from school we make sure we keep her or him in touch with learning and friendships.

We support all children to attend school regularly, for example thorough providing an enjoyable and stimulating curriculum and through home support where this is needed.   We provide specialist support and up to date training for staff on safeguarding, keeping children safe and meeting children’s emotional needs.


Who will watch out for my child at playtimes to make sure they are safe and well?
We have a well-trained team of lunchtime staff, many of whom work in classes as well so get to know the children very well.   A very important part of their role is to keep a close eye on everything that is happening at lunch and break times and intervene if any child is feeling stressed or sad.